I meet four to five of my friends for brunch at least once a month. All of us have curly hair to some degree and we love sharing our curly-stories. We are constantly tagging each other in curly memes, only to have to suffer through the same boring and ridiculous comments from our straight-haired friends. We all agree that the worst part about having curly hair is when perfect strangers start to reach for it. We have learned to be quick and literally duck or back up, to avoid their touch. Is this similar to people thinking they can touch a stranger’s pregnant belly?
Read on for the highlights of our favorite quotes and stories about curls!
“I’ll just quickly jump in the shower and be ready to go,” said no curly-haired person ever!
“Sorry, I can’t hear you over the volume of my hair.”
“My hair grows out (width) before it grows down (length).”
“Curly hair is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.”
“Happiness is doing curls on my curly hair, with my finger.”
“I’m a big woman, I need big hair,” Aretha Franklin.
“As a girl I was told ‘pretty girls have straight hair,’ so I was always insecure about it. Now that I am older, I couldn’t be more in love with my crazy, beautiful curls.”
“I’m a queen, crowned in my curls.”
Things curly-haired people are tired of hearing:
- Have you ever thought of straightening it?
- Can I touch it? (as they reach in)
- Your hair is so big and frizzy! (with a smile, like they are complimenting you.)
- How do you get it to look like that?
- How do you brush it?
- Why don’t you brush it?
- Can I brush it?
- Do you just wake up looking like that?
- Is that a perm?
Curly and thick hair problems
Even though there are many frustrations about having thick, curly hair, I love it. But, I believe we can all agree on these sentiments:
- Hats? Oh no, I can’t wear hats. Unless I want a big dent in my hair when I take it off. That is, if it will even fit in the first place.
- Bobby pins get lost in my hair!
- Trying to put my hair in a ponytail, leads to breaking so many elastics!
- I always run out of conditioner before I run out of shampoo.
As always, we love your feedback! Send in your questions and suggestions for more curly hair blogs. Happy curly day!