In many areas the cold weather is already creeping in and along with that often comes dry hair and scalp often accompanied by dry skin. Years ago the popular advice was ‘Drink more water!’ While getting enough water is certainly advisable, thankfully today there is more information and there are better products available.
While dry and or irritated scalp and dandruff can be a result of weather changes there are also a number of other possible causes. These include hormonal changes, eczema, allergies, psoriasis, and even your diet. Ask your doctor if you do not know the reason for your dry condition. If you know the cause then the treatment is often as close as your bathroom cabinet, grocery store, or on our products page. Might we suggest our leave in conditioner “Curl Rescue”? It pairs nicely with our styling products as well!
Apple Cider Vinegar Spray for Dry Hair and Scalp
Your hair and scalp needs a healthy pH balance to be at its best. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a common ‘go to’ for curly hair girls and guys. ACV can actually help you reach and maintain a healthy pH level. ACV can also strip build up on your scalp and hair and many users report shinier hair after use.
All you do is mix 50% ACV with 50% water in a spray bottle and apply to your scalp. Massage your scalp and wait about 5 minutes before completely rinsing. You can work your entire scalp at one time or only apply to troubled areas. After rinsing use Royal Locks Pro Curl Cream Gel … the hybrid 3 in 1 proprietary blend cream and gel with a leave in conditioning moisturizer of pure Moroccan Aragan Oil for your curls.
Olive Oil for Dry Hair and Scalp
Olive oil can be found in many kitchens and most any grocery store. The instructions are simple:
1) Heat 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil to a warm temperature (not hot) then mix in 2 teaspoons of honey.
2) Apply the mixture to your scalp and gently massage.
3) Then leave the olive oil on your hair for approximately ten minutes.
4) Then use a small amount of Royal Locks Clean Curls Shampoo to rinse out your hair. It uses macadamia nut oil to nourish your hair and scalp and is sulfate and paraben free!
5) Let dry naturally after adding our Pro Curl Cream Gel , Dream Cream or Party Curl Cocktail if you’re styling your hair, or Curl Rescue if you’re in for the night.
Jojoba & Tea Tree Oil for Dry Hair and Scalp
Another straightforward and effectual method to help with dry scalp and hair is jojoba oil. This oil imitates the natural sebum your scalp produces. This oil is light and often used in hair care products.
Another popular oil is Tea tree oil. This oil even has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties. Tea tree oil gets rid of dead skin, dust and dirt, fungus and bacteria from your scalp.
1) Mix a quarter to half dollar-sized amount of jojoba oil in your hand with 2 drops of tea tree oil.
2) Rub evenly in your palms.
3) Massage into the scalp. Do this about 30 minutes before shampooing or as an overnight treatment and shampoo in the morning.
4) You can also add several drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo. After applying, leave it on for 5 minutes then rinse.
Banana & Avocado Hair Mask for Dry Hair and Scalp
If your hair is damaged, dry, and dull, a banana and avocado hair mask can help bring back beauty and shine. This is because bananas contain the amino acids that protect hair from weather damage and they also have citric acid to make your hair gleam. Your hair gets vitamins A and B and abundant oils from Avocados.
What to do:
1) Put a half of an Avocado and a half of a banana along with few pieces of cantaloupe and three or four tablespoons of plain yogurt for substance and bland.
2) Apply to your scalp and hair.
3) Put on a shower cap and leave the mixture on your hair for about a half an hour.
4) Rinse with cool water and then shampoo.
The banana and avocado hair mask can be done weekly as needed.
Royal Locks Curl Nectar Curly Hair Serum and Curl Rescue Leave in Conditioner
Last but certainly not least, lets talk frizz. Sometimes even though we take the steps to properly nourish our hair, this weather can have our unruly curly frizzing still!
That’s why we created Curl Nectar. This little bottle of frizz reducing miracle is a godsend . and uses Meadowfoam Seed Oil. It’s on sale today just in time! Check it out here: Curl Nectar . Can be used daily alone, under products, or mixed with other Royal Locks products. Paraben Free and lightweight.
Curl Rescue a leave in with deep conditioning therapy that helps seal split ends and smooth with proteins. This is a powerful leave in. Highly concentrated using Kevaris and Pro Vitamin B5, you need just a little to transform your hair. Try it under Pro Curl Cream Gel or Dream Cream when you need a bit more moisture.